Thursday, November 5, 2009

New Dating Rule

Hi everyone,

Well, it's come to this....In order to date me, you've got to deal with a rule. It's that fuckin' simple...either follow "THE RULE" or get the fuck out of my car, or let me the fuck out of your car...and expect me to walk when it happens.

What is "THE RULE"?

It's this...it's this simple. If you own, possess, or have a cell phone, the son of a bitch gets turned off when we meet up for the date and doesn't get turned back on until after the date. I will do likewise.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of trying to carry on a meaningful conversation over a nice dinner while on a date only to have the moment ruined by the other person's phone ringing and having to listen to their conversation.

To be blunt, what's fucked up is when En and I were together, he'd want to be romantic and then, he'd stop to answer the fucking phone. Or, he'd have the phone ringing while we were making out.

Personally, for me, when I meet someone, I shut the phone off. They hear it shut off and they know it's making them a priority.

With En, during the last meeting we had, I counted 15 times his phone rang AND GOT ANSWERED during our supposed romantic dinner. Finally, when he hung up the last time, I told him, "Either shut it off or see me walk the next time the fucker rings." He said, "I've got to have it for business!" ....like I wasn't a busy person and didn't matter...
Needless to say, I smiled and said, "Thank you. I now know where I matter in this relationship. You pay for the fuckin' meal because it's ruined for me. I'm leaving now and DON'T CALL ME trying to get me to the table again!"

Needless to say, he wanted to make a big show of how he was shutting the phone off. I stared and said, "The next time a moment is ruined for us, you realize it was ruined by YOU. You have the power to shut it off like I do, and you have the power to let others come secondary to what's SUPPOSED to matter to you!"
Of course, he apologized profusely, but later, he went to the men's room and took nearly twenty minutes. When he got back, I excused myself to the men's room and asked the attendant, "Did Enrique come in and use his phone?" Of course, the guy said 'yes' and then went on to tell me how he had spoke to the lovely lady he was conversing with....
Needless to say, I went to the waiter and asked for our bill. THEN, I went over and wrote on the back, "Don't call me, I'll call you!"

He stared and I said, "Don't think you're so slick you can call someone while on a date with me! I'll call the bitch and tell her who you're dating and why the fuck the phone is shut off!"

He looked startled and I left.

What I will state is this....I've  had to do the same thing for personal friendship. A friend of mine...Mike...and I spent the day together one Summer afternoon. While we were together, we had absolutely NO TIME to speak with each other because of the constant interruptions about how his so-called wife had taken the money for his daughter's order for Victoria's Secret instead of placing it.
Yes, it was a matter of urgency, but at the same time, had it been me, I would've said, "Excuse me. It's obvious I'm not going to be doing our friendship any good if I keep disregarding you, so I'll make an exit and attend to matters."
Had he done that, I wouldn't have been AS PISSED as I was after the seventh or eighth call. I'd waited patiently and then, after nearly two hours, I went into my house, locked it up, went back out and told him I was setting the alarm so he needed to step off my property because I had more important things to do than attend to our friendship which meant so little.
Of course, he stared like I was being an unrespectful bitch and that's when I told him, "Listen up, three fuckin' hours ago, it was a bit much. Now it's non-stop drama and beyond boundaries of friendship. YOU go home and tend to your matters, but the next time you want to think you can walk on a friendship, realize it won't be this one."
At that, I left and later, he called and apologized. Of course, we had the discussion about how many times, I get shut off so he can text...how many different conversations we have interrupted...and how much rudeness I'll tolerate before I'm finished.
What became of the conversation is this...I told him I wasn't even going to entertain riding in a vehicle with him anywhere anymore because I wanted that freedom to leave should I be disregarded in such a manner.
Well, call it dumb, but we got back to having trust levels improved only to have him end the friendship. How?
Well, how would you feel if you someone whom you were friends with since the age of 5 years old asked you to get out of the passenger seat and ride in the back seat so someone else whom had no seniority as a friend could ride shotgun!
Well, let me tell you how I handled it. I opened the door and told the guy to get in and ride shotgun. Then, I smiled and told him, "He's your new best friend because I'm no longer his..." I shut the door and walked. Of course, he yelled and of course, I walked.
Then later, I get a series of text messages telling me "It's all about the money" to me.
Let's see....I give him a water heater, two air conditioners, two fans, and carpeting. He gives me about $100 worth of items.
We take a road trip and I'm doing it because he begged and pleaded how he needed another driver...otherwise, he'd not be able to take the trip which made him about $1800. Of course, I was promised halves.
Well, the way it went was all the promises were forgotten when we were set to leave. THAT'S when I find out he's got another driver. We three leave and then, on the way back, I find out he's promised the other driver halves. AND YET, this is while he's yelling and screaming at me like I'm some sort of pussy.
Well, he got told to get his lazy ass out of the truck and do it himself. He also got told I could find my own fuckin' way back to Missouri and the moment I did, he'd regret ever fucking me over on a promise.
Well, let's say we went back to Missouri and he apologized only to get back to Missouri and have malfunction with the lights on the trailer. Needless to say, I'm the friend who helped climb under it and get six kinds of muddy on a sub-zero freezing day, and rewire it. Once again, I was promised halves...once again, the promise was broken.

What gets me is he actually told me I had enough money he shouldn't have to be expected to pay! I'm sorry, but don't promise something if you intend on being a liar! And needless to say, we are now no longer friends and needless to say, if he EVER expects to speak with me again, I'll tell him, "Don't speak with me. It's all about the fuckin' money."

What's fucked up is this...at the age of twelve, I was ready to wash my hands of him as a friend. I was buying breakfast for us every morning and yet, he couldn't, or wouldn't shell out one cent for us something later. I told him I was done with him being a sponge and he suddenly realized he could shell out a few cents.

In actuality, that's what I find a headache with having money. People expect ME to shell out all the damned time instead of them footing the bill occasionally. It irks me they are so presumptive that I'm going to pay and yet, like an ex of mine, when it came to it being HIS turn, he expected me to become a "Dollar Menu Queen" time after time after time...except when I was paying...but then of course, I paid for nice restaurants.

What's cool is this. It stopped bugging me when I realized I could write off dinner...as long as I left a business card for the wait staff....And yes, I have done that!!!
What I will state is I've become more aware to ask if it's me who is expected to cover dinner or if it's them. If I want to pay, I ask them. If they ask, I tell them I'm expecting them to cover it...unless it benefits me. If it does, then I write it off.

One last thing about cell phones....and then, I'll quit ragging.

If your call is so fuckin' important you want to disturb a funeral service or visitation getting that call, expect me to rip it out of your fuckin' hands and take it out and throw the thing as far as I can. And yes, that HAS happened and that's why I mention it.
However, if it's MY FUNERAL and you get a call, I'll tell you my undertaker will have prior permission to walk up and hand you the invoice for the cost of the funeral. And yes, you can pay. I'll lay there and tolerate the disturbance in peace....I might actually crack a smile.